Wednesday 27 March 2013

Fantasy Faire Review

It's finally arrived, Fantasyland's Fantasy Faire. As I mentioned in a previous article, I have been planning on reviewing this attraction since before it opened, so let's get straight to it.

Aside from the fancy new buildings, Fantasy Faire doesn't really offer anything new, in terms of things to do. It's targeted toward younger audiences, unlike the Carnation Plaza Gardens that preceded it. In fact, the only remnant of those gardens is the awning and dance stage, which have had a complete makeover to appear as the "Royal Theatre".


So, what is it? It's a storybook village centered around Disney princesses; ranging from classics such as Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, to more recent favorites like The Little Mermaid and Tangled. There's a meet-and-greet area, a new shop, and a ballroom. Obviously I don't fit the target demographic Disneyland was going for, but I'm going to leave my feedback anyway. The buildings look nice - in fact, they almost put Sleeping Beauty Castle to shame. The Imagineers really did a fantastic job creating a storybook village square, from the colorful tiled roofs down to the little maypole in the center of town.

Note the crane in the background
But WHY did they have to get rid of Carnation Plaza Gardens? I'll admit, I've only visited the gardens a couple of times. But as a regular guest, I know how much that dancing ground meant to many guests, and even to Walt Disney. I love the idea of having a designated area where guests could dance to music without disrupting crowds or feeling foolish. It was a stage where memories were shared, and remembered. I like the idea of Fantasy Faire, but couldn't it have been built somewhere less... in the middle of the park? It's not even technically in Fantasyland, although apparently Fantasyland has stretched its borders to accomodate the land outside of the Castle. Anyway, that's what I think. If you have small children, I suggest you check out this new attraction because I'm sure little kids would adore it. Me, personally? I think I'll head over to Frontierland instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment